We told you we would get back to you in April with an update to our group rides. Unfortunately, the COVID-19 pandemic is not over. Falls Area Bicyclists (FAB) are stewards of safety and value our civic duty; we will follow all city, state and federal recommendation concerning COVID-19. Because of this, we are going to cancel all FAB group rides until further notice.
This is a rapidly develop situation, but currently there are no restrictions to going outside and practicing social distancing. There are just a few things to remember.
- Social distancing does not mean lock yourself in your house. Social distancing means self-discipline and accountability. Keep 6 ft between yourself and others at all times and practice perfect hand hygiene.
- Preferably ride alone. We LOVE riding with our members and are excited for the nice weather to hang out with our friends. But seriously, this is not the time. On slower rides, especially in town we are conditioned to ride close together and that just isn’t smart. Even if you THINK you can maintain the suggest distance of at least 6 feet err on the side of caution. Once you’re tired or overly excited after an awesome ride, you might want to give that high-five and then wipe the sweat from your own eyes.
- Plan ahead for the bike ride. So, we just said err on the side of caution and go solo ☹. Who the heck is going to have tools needed now to save me?! You are not going to have that immediate support on solo rides so make sure you have plenty of food, water, necessities and HAND SANATIZER. Make sure you check your batteries on your lights and other stuff before you go out too.
- Exercise! I love to meander on my bike, but during this time, it might be good to push yourself a little. It is going to be very important to get regular exercise during this time and stay healthy.
- Listen to your body. If you feel sick, please stay home. If you haven’t been on your bike in a while, push yourself, but understand when to take it easy.
- Communicate and stay in touch with people. We all still want to know how your ride went! Share on Facebook or just with your friends and family. Take pride in your accomplishments and let your community know you are well and safe. It also lets your loved ones know where you are in case of an emergency.
- Stay well-informed on COVID-19 updates. Always follow the most up to date recommendations from the city, state, and CDC regarding the coronavirus.
- Continue to support your local businesses! A lot of group rides start or end at a local business. FAB is always supportive of the community and the community in turn are supports FAB. Please keep them in your thoughts and patron their businesses by purchasing a gift card or ordering their product for take-out.
Stay safe everyone and continue to find the joy in being outside and riding your bike! We will all get back to normalcy and this will be nothing but a reminder why we should not take for granted the ability to ride a bike with our friends.